(June 5, 2020 – Reston, Virginia) – Maryland & Virginia Milk Producers Cooperative has proudly sponsored and supported numerous fairs, breed shows and youth programs over the years. Given the numerous canceled shows this summer, the cooperative is supporting the youth and members who exhibit their cows at fairs by holding its own virtual Co-op County Fair.
The Co-op County Fair is a virtual, five-week event that will run from June 29 through July 31, 2020. Each week the Co-op County Fair will celebrate a theme and highlight the top photo or video entries on Maryland & Virginia’s social channels. Weekly winners will be announced each Friday in July.
Maryland & Virginia will promote the winning entries to amplify farmers’ stories and to share with consumers the positive message of how farmers take care of their animals.
“We know how hard youngsters work on their fair projects, and how important the county fair is to so many of our farm families,” said Lindsay Reames, Director of Sustainability & External Relations. “While we can’t replicate the feel of walking into a show ring, or winning a blue ribbon, we want our youth and farm families to know that we care, that we know that this summer will be very different and that we want to keep the spirit of county fairs alive and well this summer.”
Entries may be submitted as a youth group (4-H, FFA, breed organization), an individual or as a family, and entries must come from within the cooperative’s geographic footprint from Pennsylvania to Georgia. Weekly winners will receive $100 for a youth group entry, $50 for an individual entry, and $75 for a family entry.
Those interested in participating must submit photos (no more than 10) with captions and a brief summary, or a video with a brief written summary to support the specified weekly theme.
The five weekly themes include:
- Cow Care – Share with us how you/dairy farmers care for their cows and how they prepare their cows/calves for a fair or show. (Entry deadline: Friday, June 19)
- Favorite Cow – Share with us your favorite cow, why this cow is your favorite and what is her story. (Entry deadline: Friday, June 26)
- Favorite Breed – Dairy cows come in a variety of breeds. Share/show us your favorite breed and why it is your favorite. (Entry deadline: Friday, July 3)
- Pretty Cow/Cow Costume – A fair favorite, show us your cows dressed up in costume, what the costume is and why it is meaningful or interesting to you. (Entry deadline: Friday, July 10)
- Favorite Cow Family – Cow families are an important part of dairy life. Tell us/show us your favorite cow family on your farm. Why is this family important/special to you? (Entry deadline: Friday, July 17)
Entries must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by the specified deadline to be included in the competition.
For more information about how to participate in the Co-op County Fair and for official rules and entry form, click here.
# # #
Director of Sustainability & External Affairs
Photo is courtesy of ALH Wordandimage